We recently finished up a program for an organisation called Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors (STARRTS). It is a non for profit organisation that has provided culturally appropriate psychology treatment and support to help people heal the scars of torture and refugee trauma and rebuild their lives in Australia.
The organisation decided to put some of their funding towards swimming lessons for approximately 10 women. We held the lessons at Mayfield and then Wallsend for 8 weeks on a Friday morning 9:30am – 10:30am with all female instructors as requested.
Utilising their interpreter below are their responses from the group evaluation questions we asked on the final lesson.
Have you enjoyed the swim program with BlueFit Swimming?
“Yes, we learnt lots, for some it was our first time and we got to meet up with our friends each week.”
What did you enjoy the most about the program?
“The teachers were kind, patient and understanding. It was good how the teachers used body language to help us understand when language became a barrier.”
How has the program benefited you?
- “Learn to swim with correct technique.”
- “I did the program last year and started from 0 swimming experience and by the end of this term I swam to the end of the big pool.”
- “It was emotionally nice to be in the water and to be with good/patient teachers.”
- “What is the most important thing you will take away from our program?”
- “That nothing is impossible.”
- “I can now use my swimming skills to continue exercising.”
- “I was very scared but challenged myself and over come my fear”
- “Was encouraged to overcome my fear and made new friends.”
Would you enrol yourself or your children in our programs in the future?
What prevented you from learning to swim before this?
- “Not many facilities or programs in our home country”
Has living in Australia changed your views on learning to swim for you and your family?
“Yes I now insist my children learn to swim”
Is there anything else you would like to add?
“Thank you to Jo, Fatima and the instructors”